6. What specialist services and expertise are available at, or accessed by, the school?

  • Family keyworkers
  • Educational psychologist
  • Autistic Support Services from South Downs Special School
  • Speech and Language Therapy Service
  • Physiotherapy and occupational therapy through the NHS
  • English as an Additional Language Service
  • Children’s services
  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health service (CAMHS)
  • Service for Children with Sensory Needs
  • Medical professionals
  • East Sussex Behaviour and Attendance Service (ESBAS)
  • Roselands has a Sensory Room

All of these resources are limited and provided by other agencies, such as the NHS. We therefore have limited control over their availability.

5. What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

Your child’s teacher/s have responsibility for monitoring and ensuring their wellbeing.

Where necessary they will involve other school services, which may include:

  • Use of ‘Pupil Voice’ (A way of discovering pupils’ views).
  • Social skills support with a teaching assistant.
  • Thrive/Nurture support with a teaching assistant
  • Family keyworkers (supporting both child and family).
  • Qualified first aiders (following guidance from yourselves and a Care Plan).
  • School nursing team.
  • A consistent approach to behaviour management with parental involvement as appropriate.
  • Pupil profiles/passports.

4. How will we know how well my child is doing, and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • Regular formal and informal assessment of your child’s progress.
  • Regular communication between school and home, either through class teacher, teaching assistant or inclusion staff from school.
  • Sharing provision maps, and how you can support at home.
  • Regular parent consultations and additional meetings as appropriate.
  • Home school books where appropriate.
  • Behaviour charts as appropriate.
  • School website for home learning.
  • Newsletter.
  • Sharing Provision Maps and School Based Plans.
  • Regular Parent Consultations and reports.

3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Our intention will always be to provide support that allows your child to work within the class setting and to have access to the whole curriculum. Their work will be planned and modified appropriately so it has the correct level of challenge. Children may also be given some additional adult support.

In some cases, to help children access the curriculum, it may be more appropriate for them to work in small groups and very occasionally on a 1:1 basis away from class.

2. Who will be involved in supporting my child?

The school has a special needs and disability coordinator, known as the SENDCo, who will plan the support for your child. Depending on the level of need, any or all of the following may be involved:

  • Parents and carers
  • Class teacher
  • Other teachers
  • Teaching assistants
  • Specialist teacher
  • Outside services as appropriate (e.g. educational psychologist, Speech and Language Therapy Service, South Downs Special School Outreach Support)
  • The Virtual School if your child is looked after by the local authority.

These staff may provide in-class or out-of-class support, 1:1 support or small group work. All additional support would be planned with your involvement. All teaching methods are regularly monitored and evaluated for their effectiveness, and reported back to you.

1. How will the school know if my child may have special educational needs or need extra help?

  • By talking to you and listening to your concerns.
  • By working closely with your child’s previous school/s.
  • By observing your child in class or at break times.
  • By carrying out assessments; these may be formal or informal.
  • By arranging for more specialised SEND assessments to be carried out.
  • By working with other services or specialists as appropriate.